2022 NY Art Book Fair FAQSubmit your application here ︎︎︎
What is Printed Matter?
Founded by artists and artworkers in 1976, Printed Matter fosters the distribution, understanding and appreciation of artists' books and related publications. Printed Matter is now one of the world's largest non-profit distributors of artists' books and offers many free programs and services to artists and the public, including our longrunning NY and LA Art Book Fairs. Printed Matter has two locations in NYC: our flagship location in Chelsea and our St Marks location in the East Village. Visit our website and browse our catalog! www.printedmatter.org.
What is the NY Art Book Fair?
Initiated in 2006, Printed Matter’s NY Art Book Fair (NYABF) is one of the leading international gatherings for the distribution of artists’ books, celebrating the full breadth of the art publishing community. NYABF hosts exhibitors from around the world, including a broad range of artists and collectives, activists, small presses, institutions, galleries, antiquarian booksellers, and distributors. The event draws thousands of individuals each year, including students, artists, collectors, and book lovers.
NYABF was held at MoMA PS1 in Long Island City from 2009 to 2019 and we’re deeply grateful for the institution's partnership and commitment for over a decade. For this new iteration of the Fair—after a two-year hiatus—we are excited to return to the location of the first ever NYABF, at 548 West 22nd St.
Who is eligible to apply?
Printed Matter’s Fairs strive to showcase the widest range and scope of artists’ books and publishers. Breadth in both the publication format and how you publish (e.g. collective, institutional, DIY, small press), as well as international representation and identity, are taken into consideration during the application review process.
To be eligible to apply:
1. You must publish, sell, and/or distribute art books or artists’ books.
2. Your books must be available for sale, although you may include some free items (i.e. digital works, zines, stickers, etc.).
3. You must have a publishing practice, whether large or small in scope. We are looking for demonstrated dedication to bookmaking and an engaging catalog of published works. This Fair is generally not suitable for showcasing a single title or single book project.
What makes a good application?
Your application should include:
1. A clear and concise description of your practice or project. Please tell us what kind of work you make, what communities you’re a pa
rt of (if relevant to your practice), what past fairs or exhibitions you’ve participated in, and what makes your publication practice unique or special.
NYABF 2022 will be reduced in scale in comparison to most recent productions. With this shift, we encourage applicants to emphasize new work and/or inventory, and share with us generous responses relating to their interest in participating. If you’re an exhibitor who has participated in many past Fairs, please be sure to share why you’d like to be a part of this one. In reviewing applications we hope to provide space to new exhibitors.
2. Strong images or videos of your publications. You can upload up to 5 files. This can include images of groupings of books, individual books, spreads, detail shots, and photos of past art book fair presentations. Recommended JPG file size 72ppi and no less than 1000px on the long side. Recommended MP4 length: 3-5min.
3. Creative ideas for presentation. Give us a sense of how your books will be displayed. If you are applying for an exhibitor table with an accompanying wall, share how you’d like to use the space. You can also share details or anecdotes from past experiences tabling at book fairs and how this may shape your presentation for NYABF 2022.
4. Feature artists' books, catalogs, monographs, periodicals, zines, or related printed material. Again, NYABF 2022 is book focused. You are welcome to include other related media such as limited art editions, prints, apparel, performance, original artwork, etc., but these should not be foregrounded in your presentation.
*** The NYABF 2022 application may appear similar to past NY and LA Art Book Fairs, so please pay special attention to changes and updates. Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions.
When will I find out whether I’ve been accepted into the Fair?
The deadline for the NYABF 2022 application is May 3, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible, as participation is confirmed on a rolling basis, beginning in late May 2022. We appreciate your patience. Notifications will be sent to the e-mail address associated with the Submittable account. Please double check these settings.
What is the fee structure for exhibiting at NYABF 2022?
Fees are determined by the size and location of your presentation space, your exhibitor category, and the scale of your publishing operation.
Estimated exhibitor fees for NYABF 2022
Publisher / Photography: $500–$1,200
Institutions, Distributors, Booksellers, Rare & Out of Print, Galleries: $1,400–$4,500
Available spaces include 4’–18’ of table presentation space, both with and without a wall. Larger areas are available for Special Projects, and also include select furniture.
Fees include booth furniture, table signage, exhibitor badges, and inclusion in printed and online materials.
How are exhibitor fees determined?
Printed Matter is a non-profit organization. As is the case for all Printed Matter Art Book Fairs, fees will go directly toward the hard costs of this non-profit production. These include space rental, operations and staffing costs, and programming expenses, including honoraria for artists, speakers, and publishers.
Price ranges noted in the application are approximate. An exhibitor’s fee is determined by the size and location of presentation space, exhibitor category, and the scale of operation. The exhibitor fee does not include associated travel and lodging costs.
Are there opportunities for financial support?
1. The Shannon Michael Cane Award grants four emerging first-time exhibitors (artists, artists' book publishers, or collectives in the early stages of their career) complimentary Fair participation, including an exhibitor table and modest stipend that may be applied towards travel, publication production costs, or other related expenses. To apply, please see details in the NYABF 2022 Application.
2. For NYABF 2022, we are proud to debut the Volume Grant, a new funding opportunity for BIPOC artists and publishers (US-based and international). Applications are reviewed by the Fair team and a jury. Recipients will receive a complimentary table at the Fair, as well as an unrestricted stipend. We recognize the importance of redistribution as a crucial step towards meaningful representation and access. This grant supports the ongoing creative work happening in these communities through assistance with production, travel, and other necessary expenses.
This opportunity is for publishers in all stages and experience in publishing, and we hope to prioritize those who haven’t participated in our Fairs before. Applicants will be reviewed based on demonstrated need and merit. Details on how to apply can be found in the NYABF 2022 application.
3. We are exploring a new program in which in-person exhibitors can host international exhibitors who are unable to travel to NY. By sharing a table, exhibitors may be able to split the corresponding fee. Please indicate your interest in learning more by checking the related box in the application. Your feedback will help shape this program and its feasibility.
4. If there are funding resources available through your government, universities, or other channels, we are happy to provide an official invitation letter from Printed Matter as well as discuss helping with other related paperwork.
What is the current COVID-19 protocol?
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and in an effort to ensure the safety of guests, exhibitors and staff will adhere to any and all guidelines set forth for gatherings by Federal, State, and local officials and pursuant to applicable law. This includes, but is not limited to, a maximum number of people currently allowed to gather at one time, appropriate protocols, health screenings, and more.
We don’t know what the federal and local guidelines will be like this October, but we are sincerely committed to ensuring a safe, respectful, and comfortable environment for all. As we approach key production dates and deadlines, we will also include updates on COVID-19 safety protocols.
Is it possible for me to participate in the Fair if I can’t attend in person?
NYABF 2022 is an in-person Fair. However, we are currently exploring a distribution model in which in-person and international publishers can share tables (thus splitting the corresponding exhibitor fee). If interested, please submit a complete application and be sure to check the box indicating your position as an international exhibitor unable to attend in-person. We will then reach out with more information as the logistics evolve.
Will there be an online component to NYABF 2022?
We hope to preserve the spirit of access and creativity that defined Printed Matter’s Virtual Art Book Fair, while also honoring the time and dedication that a return to in-person events requires. The web presence of NYABF 2022 will expand upon past in-person Fairs, and will feature an interactive exhibitor list and new ways to engage with programming. This being said, if you are interested in proposing a specific online project, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with an outline of your idea.
How do we submit proposals for programming?
NYABF 2022 invites a wide range of programming, ranging from lectures, readings, screenings, and performances, to more site-specific interventions such as workshops, partnerships with community organizations, and more. We will continue our long standing series, The Classroom, which highlights new releases at the Fair and fosters dialogue around important themes in contemporary art publishing and the broader community; curated by David Senior (Head of Library and Archives at SF MOMA). Additional programming, including music performances, is developed over the course of the production.
Please submit programming proposals in your NYABF 2022 application. Due to the high volume of submissions, we are unable to respond to each proposal.
If you are interested in partnering with the Fair and proposing a more involved offsite or online program series, please write to email@example.com.
What are Project Spaces?
The 2022 NY Art Book Fair is pleased to host select publication‑focused projects and exhibitions. These featured projects by Fair exhibitors can range from historical surveys and archival presentations to interactive environments with workshops and performances. Past project spaces include interventions by Werkplaats Typografie, Gagosian, Hauser & Wirth, Archive Books, and Anteism Books. ︎
In addition to small exhibitions inside the Fair venue, we are exploring other ways to reach new communities, uplift mutual aid groups, and include more hands-on experimentation with artists’ books. In past years, we hosted outdoor courtyard projects with groups like Press Press, The Free Black Women’s Library, Cybernetics Library, The NYPL Pictures Collection, and Endless Editions. ︎ These projects have emphasized political and social engagement with publishing and have taken the form of installations, workshops, and guided tours.
If you have a proposal for a project space, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
What is 548 West 22nd St?
Situated between Chelsea and Hudson River Park and just one block from the High Line, 548 West has a rich history as a celebrated arts building having been home to prominent cultural institutions for decades. 548 West is delighted to host Printed Matter's 2022 Art Book Fair. To learn more about leasing opportunities and events at this beautiful newly renovated space, please visit www.atlas-cap.com.
How can I support the Fair?
Printed Matter’s Art Book Fairs are community-driven non-profit events. We are grateful to previous sponsors, partners, and donors for making the Fair possible and providing much needed support. If you’re interested in learning more about how to get involved and partner with us, please write to email@example.com.